Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Preparing for Departure



My last weekend at the hospital... working hard as usual.

I finished my last shift at the hospital this past weekend.  As excited as I am to leave for Kenya, it’s certainly bittersweet saying goodbye to all the friends I’ve made at work over the past couple years.  I can’t wait to see what the hospital is like in Kenya.  I’m sure it will be quite an adjustment at first (I think I’m really going to miss our fancy automated IV pumps)

A year isn’t such a long time, but I’ve realized how much I’m going to miss America.  I’ve spent the past month enjoying all things American: regular baseball games, lots of unhealthy BBQ food, and one final family road trip to Yellowstone.  Knowing that I'm leaving home for a year has already made me appreciate home a lot more.
Soaking up the last of the American summer.



 Preparations are coming along well now.  My visa finally arrived.  I’ve finished up my last round of vaccinations (I’m now immune to yellow fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, and rabies).  I’ve also started packing up the first boxes to move out of my apartment… I know Mom and Dad are looking forward to storing all of my stuff in their house for a year.  After lots of stressing and paperwork (and a lot of help from our logistics officer in Nairobi), I've also managed to finally obtain my temporary license from the Nursing Council of Kenya.  I'm now licensed to legally practice nursing in Kenya.

My departure date is fast approaching.  I have a few days of orientation in New Jersey with CMMB at the end of September.  Then two more weeks at home before I fly out Oct. 13 from L.A. to Amsterdam (about 10 hours), then onward to Nairobi (another 8 hours!).

Please pray for me as my departure draws near!

No comments:

Post a Comment